There are three degrees of creosote. First degree creosote is the most easiest to remove. It`s largely made up of soot and it can be removed with a chimney brush. It`s produced when the wood burns well and there is adequate air with a low moisture content. Third degree creosote buildup is the most difficult to remove.

Second degree creosote buildup is usually produced when the air is restricted and is typically caused by wood stoves and fireplaces that have glass doors. The glistening flakes of hardened tar are a by-product of the combustion from the burning wood in the fireplace, coating the inner walls of a chimney. It must be removed because the potential to cause a fire.

While brushes are effective tools in removing creosote buildup in chimneys, you might have to use other products to remove stubborn deposits. Flat wire brushes or a rotary loop that is powered by a drill are very effective in removing thin creosote buildup from the inside of a chimney.

There are also chemical removers that take up to a few months after they have been applied to remove the creosote.  However, these types of caustic chemicals can work only if the creosote hasn’t been on fire.  If the chimney walls just look like they have been coated with tar, the chemicals can work.

Whatever brush or chemical is used to remove creosote, professional chimney cleaners have the experience and training to ensure that your chimney will be as clean as a whistle. Call us today.